Workshop: Digital spellcasting: setting intentions thru data // Lancer des sorts digitaux: énoncer ses intentions avec les données
**THIS WORKSHOP IS OPEN TO ALL**
Calling all poets, witches, hackers and queers. The web is full of mysteries and contradictions: ephemeral yet permanent, intangible yet real. It is home to outcasts and rebels. A battleground for witch hunts and wars. What kind of spirits hide in its depths? In this workshop, we will be trying out TECHWITCH's new web tool: the Digital Spellcaster. Together, we will write and create spells of all sorts using digital matter. Hexing Trump's twitter and cleansing mp3s of memories of our exes. Come meet us where the "real", the queer and the magical cross paths. This workshop requires absolutely no experience. Please bring a laptop or message us so we can reserve one for you.
Liane Décary-Chen is an artist and researcher operating within the fields of digital and interactive media. Throughout her practise, she has investigated themes such as empowerment and identity through games (Arcade Our Way), wearable computing (XS Labs), interactive filmmaking (Concordia Chair in Interactive Filmmaking), and community organising (Gamerella, Tech Witches). A common thread which runs through all her projects is the desire to equip women and marginalized people with tools that will allow them to take control over their bodies, lives, and stories.
All welcome, but a focus will be put on QTBIPOC and marginalized perspectives.
- There will be walking companions on request to help anyone walk to and from the space safely for this event. Please email email@example.com to request the help of a walking companion.
- articule's gallery is wheelchair accessible. There is a ramp at the entrance of the building. The bathroom is partially accessible to persons using a wheelchair; please also note that there is only one support bar.
- If you need childcare, please let us know *48 hours* in advance by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- There will be volunteers to do whisper translation in the space.
- There will be volunteers available to do active listening at the event.
- There will be fidget toys available at the event. We ask folks to please put them back in the box where they took it when they will no longer use it.
- There will be food and refreshments provided
- Cost: This event is free for everyone. Should you want to make a donation, we will have a donation jar at the entrance and you can also support the program by donating here (please select Our Bodies, Our Stories).
(be)longing is happening on the traditional territories on the kanien'kehá:ka. As a QTBIPOC community, it is important for us to honor the traditional keepers of these lands and we encourage everyone to educate themselves about the history of this place, and to actively work in solidarity with Indigenous peoples of these lands towards decolonial and anticolonial liberation.
We need volunteers! Please sign up here.
For any questions or concerns, please email: email@example.com