Le Mile End s’articule is a summer outdoor community arts festival, revolving this year around the theme of storytelling, memory and the world of dreams. With the support of the Arrondissement du Plateau-Mont-Royal, this 5th edition will provide a schedule of activities over two weeks, and include events in articule's alley along Fairmount avenue, and in the local parks, fields and other public locales of the Mile End.
Le Mile End s’articule will explore the theme of storytelling, memory and the world of dreams, considering space/place, and fantasy/imagination. Given the history of Tiohtiá:ke/Montreal, and the various communities that share the Mile End in particular, the festival will present creative and critical responses to the Mile End and its communities, engaging through performances, workshops and interactive projects.
Some questions we’re curious about: What are the different ways to tell a story? Which stories do we share? Where are stories told? How do stories inform our experience and understanding of a space? What does it mean to remember? What inventions and transformations do we imagine for the spaces around us? How can a story transport us to somewhere else?
In keeping with articule’s ongoing work on anti-oppression, programming will prioritize submissions by and for diverse groups, especially Indigenous artists.
Le Mile End s’articule is also committed to creative reuse and the reduction of waste in artistic practices. We encourage you to include environmentally-friendly approaches in your proposals.
Call for Artists, Performances, Workshops and Interactive Projects
Creators of any type, particularly those with emerging practices, are encouraged to submit proposals for activities taking place between May 25 - June 8, 2019.
These could include:
- - Workshops
- - Performances
- - Interactive installations
- - Participatory talks, readings or discussions
- - Outdoor art
- - Games
- - Artistic collaborations with the public
- - Or whatever you can dream up!
Potential locations for activities:
- - The alleyway beside articule
- - Local parks/schoolyards in Plateau-Mont-Royal
- - The terraces and community garden at Fairmount ave & ave de l’Esplanade
- - Other public spaces in the Arrondissement du Plateau-Mont-Royal
- - Special call for installation in the alleyway: installation proposals to animate the alleyway beside articule for a one-day special event
We encourage family friendly activities. All proposals should deal with themes of storytelling, memory, place and imagination, and keep in mind a creative reuse of materials.
Selected projects will receive a $250 honorarium.
Please include the following:
- - Your contact information (name, phone number, email, a website if you have one)
- - Title of your project
- - 50-word biography (in both English and French)
- - 150-word project statement / description (in both English and French)
- - Brief description of: who the project is geared towards, the length in time, proposed location, necessary dimensions, and how you will ecologically source or re-use materials
- - List of technical needs (including what you can supply and what you need supplied)
- - 3-5 images (attached as .jpegs), if relevant
- - Descriptive list of the images
- - Any scheduling unavailabilities you have between May 25 - June 8, 2019
The committee will be particularly grateful if you submit all of the above in one PDF document.
Deadline: March 8 2019, 11:59pm
Send proposals in one PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Submission: Le Mile End s’articule 2019”
Please note that only selected applicants will be contacted.
We look forward to seeing all that you imagine for this year’s festival!